Join our new team of 20+ researchers (half postdocs half PhDs) in Visual Computing at the intersection of Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Media Signal Processing. We are building a dynamic environment where enthusiastic young scientists with different backgrounds get together to shape the future in fundamental as well as applied research projects. Possible directions include but are not limited to:
• augmented reality (AR),
• virtual reality (VR),
• free viewpoint video (FVV),
• 3D video,
• 360/omni-directional video,
• high dynamic range (HDR),
• wide colour gamut (WCG),
• light-field technologies,
• 3D reconstruction, etc.
Individual research plans will be designed between PI, successful candidates and team, considering individual background, expertise, skills and interests, matching the overall strategy, and exploiting opportunities and inspirations.
The Experienced Research Fellow will provide leadership in the team, e.g. as supervisor and/or project leader. Academic career development will be encouraged and supported.
The research project “V-Sense – Extending Visual Sensation through Image-Based Visual Computing” is funded by SFI over five years with a substantial budget to cover over 20 researchers. This is part of a strategic investment in Creative Technologies by SFI and Trinity College, which is defined as one of the strategic research themes of the College. V-Sense intends to become an incubator in this context, to stimulate further integration and growth and to impact Creative Industries in Ireland as a whole.
Standard duties and Responsibilities of the Post
• Fundamental and/or applied research in Visual Computing at the intersection of Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Media Signal Processing
• Scientific publications
• Contribution to prototype and demonstrator development
• Overall contribution to V-SENSE and teamwork
• Supervision of PhD and other students
• Outreach & dissemination
• Leadership in the team
The position is funded through the Science Foundation Ireland V-SENSE project.
Appointment will be made on the SFI Team member Budget Experienced Postdoctorate Research Fellow Level 2B Salary scale at a point in line with Government Pay Policy.
Specific Purpose contract approximately 4 years – Full-time
The successful candidate will be expected to take up post as soon as possible, preferable in March/April 2017.
• A Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field in the area of ICT.
• A minimum of 4 years of postdoctoral experience.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
• An established track record of publication in leading journals and/or conferences, in one or more sub-areas of Visual Computing.
• Excellent knowledge of and integration in the related scientific communities.
• The ability to work well in a group, and the ability to mentor junior researchers, such as Ph.D. students.
• Affinity for creative dimensions of visual computing
• Experience in supervision and project leadership.
• Experience in academic services, e.g. peer reviewing, workshop/conference committee, etc.
• Experience with funding acquisition
• Teaching experience
• Academic track record, e.g. talks, tutorials
• Industry experience or engagement
• Prototype development
• Exhibitions, demos
Skills & Competencies
• Good written and oral proficiency in English (essential).
• Good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
• Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design.
• Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
• Proven track record of publication in high-quality venues.
• Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs.
• Strong team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the team.
• Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
• Excellent problem solving abilities. – Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product and technical and research developments.
Contacts and application
Candidates should submit a cover letter together with a full curriculum vitae to include the names and contact details of 2 referees (email addresses if possible) to:
Name: Orla Fox
Title: Research Project Administrator
Email Address: Orla.Fox@SCSS.TCD.ie
Contact Telephone Number: 018968176
Please include the reference code: VS-ERF on all correspondence.
Employer: V-SENSE Project, School of Computer Science and Statistics, Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin
Expiration date: Tuesday, January 31, 2017
More information: https://www.scss.tcd.ie/vacancies/index.php?id=184